Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Hat Trick


On the eve of the second season as I am sitting here watching the American Idol contestants sing their hearts out, did Adam Lambert just lick his lips at Ryan Seacrest? I am excited to start this new venture blogging about the sport I love. From an early age I would go to the cul-de-sac, wear my Ron Sutter jersey and play for hours until you couldn’t see the ball in the moonlight anymore. From the Mylec’s to the composites, this sport has taken my blood. Now on to the reason you came to this blog. First post is the HAT TRICK, my top three questions I am looking at in this year’s run at Lord Stanley’s Cup:

1) Can the Sharks get over the hump? A team with so much talent and promise has not been able to get into the Western Conference Finals. Although Claude Lemieux puts their average age around 100, the Sharks seem deeper, healthier and more focused to make a long playoff run. But I honestly think this team will not get over that hump. The Red Wings are too tough, and even the Ducks are a difficult first round opponent.

2) Is Alex Ovechkin ready for a long playoff run? We saw glimpses of this amazing talent in last year’s 7 games. He is such a dominant force like Lemieux, so fun to watch. I think despite the goalie question Boy Danny Gokey singing endless love, where is the zamboni driver from Happy Gilmore? The Great 8 will be ready to take center stage just like at the All-Star festivities and maybe even make some non hockey fans tune in.


3) Who is the dark horse that no one is talking about? We have heard about the haves but how ‘bout the Who the Puck? I am really in love with the Chicago Blackhawks, not just because Nikolai Khabibulin single-handedly won me my fantasy hockey league, but because ever since the passing of their old president, Mr. William W. Wirtz, this team has done everything in the right direction: Holding the Winter Classic at Wrigley, setting attendance records and stealing Patrick Sharp from the Flyers. This team might be able to break that Chicago curse, but the question is will it be reported before or after Jay Cutler’s first pass at the team’s OTA or Kevin Gregg’s 5th blown save?

No comments:

Post a Comment